If PC School users attempt to extract data on a workstation that is running Office 2007, for import into Word 2007 or Excel 2007, they can expect to encounter the following message when they attempt to open the Word doc or Excel spreadsheet.
- This error occurs if you try to open a Microsoft Office document and the file type for that document has been blocked by a registry policy setting. To help secure your computer, Microsoft or the administrator of this computer implemented a registry policy setting that prevents opening this type of file.
- To open documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922850 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922850.
The problem is not PC School, and it’s not MS Office 2007…….
It’s just that the user has not yet completely configured all security settings on their machine offered by Microsoft now. For years, Microsoft has been criticized by security experts, saying that their software is full of security holes. Well, they’ve started plugging them. Pity the average user doesn’t understand the reason for the security feature, or how to use the new features now.
If you have users extracting data for import into Word 2007, and getting the above message, they have 2 options:
- Hack the registry and turn off the security feature (not recommended).
- Configure and use the application correctly.
The error message was after the user had extracted the data file and saved to their desktop. Then, when attempting to use Word 2007 to open the document for editing, they were presented with the error message.
The recommended way to use this new security facility, is to:
- Create a secure folder
- Define the folder as trusted
- Extract the data from the application into the trusted folder
- Open with Word
To do this, simply:
- Create a new folder called PCSchool in the users local “My Documents” (for example: C:\documents and settings\username\my documents\pcschool\)
- Open a blank document in Word 2007.
- Left Click on the Office Button (top left corner)
- Select Word Options (bottom right corner, next to Exit Word)
- Select Trust Center in the left pane
- Select Truct Center Setting in the right pane
- Select Trusted Locations in the left pane
- Select Add New Location in the right pane
- Add the new location that has been created (For example: C:\documents and settings\username\my documents\pcschool\)
- Save new settings with additional Trusted Location.
- Exit Word
Have the user extract the required data from PCSchool, saving into the newly created trusted location.
In the case of a word type document, the user should then be able to use Word 2007 to open the saved file.
The above information is for users of PCSchool Student Management School Software.