PC School uses configuration files to enable and configure several features of the software. These files are know as Workspace, or .ws files. This document is designed to give you a basic understanding of how to edit these files, as well as what the settings within these files are designed to achieve.
These settings are contained in a text file with the extension of “.ws”. All of these workspace (.ws) files can be found in the PCSchool\Programs\ directory.
Each PC School Work Area will have its own workspace file. The main PC School work area will have a file called PCSchool.ws while the Play work area will have use the file PCSPlay.ws. Any other work areas will have a similar file, based on the work area name. For instance a work area called Library will have a workspace file called Library.ws.
The workspace file is a locally stored file which will only affect the settings of the PC on which they are changed. This means that if necessary each PC may have a different workspace file with any unique setting required for the user of that PC.
Editing the .ws File
The pcschool.ws file is a text file, and can be edited in any text editor such as Notepad. It can also be edited using the Workspace File Editor, found in PC School in the Utilities menu of any module.
When making changes to the .ws file, it’s important to keep a backup, so you can easily revert the file to it’s original state should you make a mistake (or two!).
File Key Descriptions
The workspace file contains numerous keys which relate to the various configurations of PC School. Below is an outline of the keys within this file, and what options are available for them.
- Home Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- AppsrcPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- AppHtmlPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- BitmapPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- DataPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone. This normally points to the path that your PC School data is stored.
- DdSrcPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- Description Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- FileList Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- HelpPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- IdeSrcPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- ProgramPath Dataflex generated key. Should be left alone.
- AutoLog This indicates how users are logged into PC School. If this is set to “On” then users will be logged in as the PCSCHOOL user.
- If set to “NET” then they will be logged in as the user which matches their Windows User Name.
- If set to “OFF” then the user will be required to log in with a user name and password each time they run PC School
- Postman Indicates whether or not Postman is available for use with PC School. Is set to “Y” if this is true.
- Timer The time, in seconds that the PC School main menu will remain open, when left unattended.
- Bitmap The path to the bitmap to be used as the background for PC School.
- This may be a absolute path to the file, such as “C:\Pictures\background.bmp” or a relative path such as “.\Bitmaps\background.bmp”
- The file type must be either Bitmap (.bmp) or RLE (.rle) file. If no bitmap is defined then the standard “pcschool.bmp” file is used.
- BitmapStyle This defines how the bitmap is displayed. The values may be either “Stretch”, “Tile”, “Centre” or “Actual”. If no style is set then Actual will be used.
See also Email Setup in PC School
- Email The email address that will be used as the From address for every email sent by PC School.
- EmailServer The SMTP mail server that is used for outgoing mail.
- ESMTPAuthMode Indicates whether or not the SMTP mail server required authentication for emails to be sent.
- It is set to “On” if this is true.
- If no value is set then PC School will not attempt to authenticate to the SMTP server.
- ESMTPAccount The account name to be used for SMTP Authentication.
- ESMTPPassword The password to be used for SMTP Authentication.
- EmailMode Used to identify that SMTP or MAPI is used when sending email via PC School. SMTP is the default and this should be set to “MAPI” if the MAPI protocol is to be used.
The above information is for users of PCSchool Student Management School Software.