PC School Spider is the web interface for Teachers and Staff members to access PC School data via the browser.
PC School Spider is really two applications. The first is a Visual Dataflex Web Service application, referred to in house as the webapp. This program provides a number of web services that serve a range of data from PC School. For further details on the web services, check the webapp page.
The second application is the .Net client referred to as Spider. This client is written in C# and is the visual interface that the user sees when the log into Spider using their web browser.
These are guides of how to make changes to various aspects of Spider:
- Spider Installation Manual – a guide to installing and updating Spider.
- Webapp Versions – all the latest information regarding Webapp updates.
- Webapp Outline – contains information on the Webapp program, and the Web Services that it provides.
Common Errors and Solutions
- When Opening a class for Result Entry you get an error similar to “Result Style not for this Subject or Database unavailable”. Incorrect FormatXML Namespace
Absent Roll Marking
- After selecting a class and period, when clicking generate roll it shows a blank screen. Missing AbsentRollWeb.xml
- An error occurred during child process initialization. Webapp.exe not found
- Users can’t see the Left-hand menu when logging in. No Left Menu
- Blank PDF or PDF file with size of 0kb. Blank PDF Error
- When clicking View, the popup window shows the report launch page. Blank PDF Error
- Reports that have been published don’t appear and/or can’t be printed from My Classes Permissions for Spider Reporting
Unable to Generate Temporary Class
- When trying to log in to the Spider an error is generated displaying the message:
Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
error CS2001: Source file ‘C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\xxxxxxx.cs’ could not be found
error CS2008: No inputs specified
Unable to Generate Temporary Class Error
Unable to Browse any of the WSO Files
- When attempting to browse a WSO file the following error message is displayed:
Error during Web Application Server session initialization, please try again later. Fatal error occurred during child process initialization: Application/Workspace error The program cannot run as the following fatal error has occured while initializing the ‘PCSchool’ Workspace: The FileList.cfg file is not where the Workspace expects i Please check the Windows event log for further information about the problem.
- To rectify this message, ensure that the account that is used as to run the Visual Web Application service has permissions to the VDF data files.
- Hidden shares can’t be accessed. Hidden Shares with Webapp
- This code was suggested as a fix for when the .Net version may be an issue. Not really sure what it does, but can be used when there is more than on version of the .Net framework installed:
Start - Run %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
- When the web broswer reports an Error 404.3 regarding MIME Types (Typically in IIS7) Configure Spider for IIS7
The above information is for users of PCSchool Student Management School Software.