PCSchool will run using the Windows 7 Operating System with the following known issues:
1. One of our PCSchool users has passed on the following information:
“The current Windows 7 Novell Client (Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows) will cause many database applications running from Novell servers to Fail. The type of error given is dependent on the application being used. Some form of missing files, missing database tables, or a program freeze will occur.
This information is widely discussed in Novell client forums.
Solution: Current solution (workaround) is to completely uninstall the novell client (Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows) reboot and install the older (Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista-2008 (IR1a)) With NMAS unchecked (known fault in this client) during custom install. All of our database apps and 60 windows7 computers have functioned well after this.”
PCSchool have not tested the above but feel it is important all our
users be made aware of the possible issue.
We provide this information without prejudice.
2. After installation of PCSchool there is a need to add the various program modules (Curric.exe, Debtors.exe etc) to the list of allowed programs in the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) or select the option ‘Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only’ through Control Panel – System – Advanced System Settings – Advanced tab – Performance Settings – Data Execution Prevention tab.
3. In the Crystal Preview Window when previewing a report, it will not be possible to email that report to the MAPI device. This is a problem between Crystal and Microsoft and is beyond our control.
4. Opening folders in the Document Management can sometimes take up to 1 minute. We are in the process of addressing this issue and will keep you posted.
5. When installing PCSchool client on a computer with Windows 7 it may not show the Mapped Drive in the PCRemote. You can either turn off the UAC (User Account Control) through Control Panel – User Accounts and this should allow you to see the Mapped Drives, or you can use a UNC Path as follows:
To then point the local client to the Mapped Drive go to the PCSchool\Programs folder on the local drive C:, find the PCSchool.ws file, open it with NotePad and edit the Home, DataPath and FileList Paths to show the mapped drive, rather than the UNC path:
If you find any other issues with running PCSchools on Windows 7 OS please let us know.
The above information is for users of PCSchool Student Management School Software.